Dear Blogger:
Today was Critique Day no.2. I am going to talk about what I thought about each piece that was presented, and I know I will probably get flack for this, but I am going to be raw and honest. That's what a real critique is, correct? So if I sound harsh, it's nothing against you or your work, I'm just doing what I'm being asked.
o1. "Pokemon" by Tessie, Kelly, and Alexa : I really liked how fun this was. Everyone in the group was clear and could be heard perfectly. I would have to say that if there was something more added to the track to really make your own spin on the song, it would be even better.
o2. "Questionable Characters" by Matt, Jeff, Ben, and Joseph : This was a very comical rap. I remember being in the sound room when you worked on this. (lol) The rhythm was concise and everything flowed nicely. This was sheer fun and very candid. Maybe practicing just a tiny bit more would have made this perfect, but it was great nonetheless.
o3. "My Life" by Chris and Isaak : This sounded like a real rap song; it was crazy! The song was very intense because it portrayed the realness of gang-life. The words could be a little more clear, but it was very well put together. I enjoyed it. I think the two could have laid off the blowhorn just a teeny bit though, just for the sake of understanding the lyrics.
o4. "Can't Feel Our Face" by Devon and Anthony : To be honest, I thought Snoop Dogg was in the track for a second. (lol) Everything flowed like water and the beats and harmony were great. I loved how this was also a very real story being told through sick raps. I would suggest that they clean it up just a little bit, like toning down the instrumentals just a bit and perhaps working out some of the vocal issues (it felt a little stressed).
o5. "Lamb Story" by Deegan, Alex, Kenny, Chris, and Mark : This was the first actual story being told, and it was about a clumsy skater and a dirty, little lamb. It was comical, but totally worked. The sound effects enhanced the storyline, and was like a real children's book being read (think Reading Rainbow). Everybody in the group contributed, but they never overpowered the main narrator, which was excellent. I will say that it was a little quirky, but I liked it.
o6. (Untitled) - Juan and Santiago : They created a very catchy piece that incorporated some elements of rock, hip-hop, and a few other genres of music. It was very clever and I was bopping along to it. I actually thought that this would be something featured in an old school kind of movie. I would say that they should add in some sort of voice layer to have the complete assignment nailed, but I honestly think it's fine as is.
o7. (Untitled) - Jessica : OMG. This was the piece that really hit home for me. Every component of this piece she created was all her own. She had a clear vision of what she wanted to create and she produced an outstanding piece. It was really smooth and soulful. It made me think of something Billie Holiday, Corrine Bailey-Rae, Alicia Keys or Colbie Caillat would perform. I was amazed at how the vocals was actually her friend singing. I think the only thing that threw off this piece was the volume of the instrumentals, but that's just a technical glitch we can fix. I think we have something brewing here; perhaps this should be professionally done.
o8. "Creepy Aliens" by Ani, Nairi, and Stephanie : This was so crazy with all the voices! I liked how Michael Jackson was playing in the background, though I'm not quite sure it went with the Coneheads spinoff they did. It was very humorous and entertaining, though. I would recommend cleaning it up just a bit, with the voices so it's more audible.
o9. "Story" by Gabriel : This piece was short, but it was very well done. The music component was amazing and easy to listen to. The computer voice worked with the track. I think you should build on it, and maybe create like an electronic storybook, where each short sound bit is a new chapter. It was well done, but I have to be honest here... Gabe's stank attitude doesn't fly with most of the other students in class. You should be proud of your work!
1o. (Untitled) - Hidy : This is an awesome trance-like track. It sounds like something that would be featured in a video game (think Zelda). There should be a touch more, but it's put together so well, it might actually be better off without a voice over. Great work! I want to hear more of this funky material you have swirling about.
11. "Sad Happy" by Leslie : It was a beautiful guitar riff in the intro. It gets pretty intense with the mash-up of instrumentals, but it worked. It was like she was getting out her repressed aggression and emotions out to the world through music. I liked it and wished it were a bit longer than it was.
12. "My Song 6" by Varsik, Phillip, Vanessa, and Justine : This was so random and kooky! It's like a whole story being told by chipmunks on acid! (lol) I have to say that I couldn't understand a lick of it, but it's okay. This was their piece and it was very original. I think slowing down the voices a bit and adding some music to the background would make it more complete, but I know this is just a work in progress.
So that's the critique I have for everybody's project. I chose not to critique my own because I did so when I posted it up. I know I still need to re-record it with Chris to eliminate the tapping sound and we should practice a bit more with our vocals, but it's alright.
-Kat
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Let Me See If This Works Lol
ReplyDeletehey, my blog isnt working, so im commenting ur music video here...
ReplyDeletei really liked the song, it was real nice, im not even gonna lie, i'd prolly put it on my ipod. and i liked how the pictures kind of went with the video but i feel like i'd like the video more if it was an actual video rather then a slide show. but other then that yeah it was amazing.